Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thrush

Let it snow!

906 posts in this topic

Bit of snow overnight!

There's a 3 lane motorway underneath....

iO1pnNy.jpg

sderEla.jpg

u8Thdy7.jpg

1 person likes this

It was the same over Shap, it started falling as I knocked off for three days. :D

1 person likes this

View from my garden a few hours ago. Looks like more snow on its way!

aod0K8R.jpg

And as per usual, multiple jackknifed trucks and other vehicles not driving to the conditions. :rant:

zbOU0kq.jpg

GfkZC2k.jpg

Aww, snow.......

1 person likes this

Just now, Thrush said:

And as per usual, multiple jackknifed trucks and other vehicles not driving to the conditions. :rant:

zbOU0kq.jpg

GfkZC2k.jpg

They never learn....It looks like slushy snow. It is much better when it is cold

4 minutes ago, Ice man said:

Aww, snow.......

Do you need a moment alone....

2 minutes ago, Ice man said:

They never learn....It looks like slushy snow. It is much better when it is cold

Turned to slush from the grit/salt put down on the road surface.

43 minutes ago, Thrush said:

Turned to slush from the grit/salt put down on the road surface.

We have had blizzards for two days and it caused some traffic issues. We don't use salt often anymore. Better to plow the snow and let it be as it is. There are also concerns about putting out salt when it can attract the wild life. We have enough of wild life accidents even without the salt on the roads. I have never hit a bigger wild animal, but I have experienced several of close calls. 

Just had a gentle dusting on the coast. 

IMG_20180116_194031.jpg

IMG_20180116_193810.jpg

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Thrush said:

zbOU0kq.jpg

GfkZC2k.jpg

Did your burning glare of disapproval at their bad driving melt all the nasty snow away?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Ice man said:

We have had blizzards for two days and it caused some traffic issues. We don't use salt often anymore. Better to plow the snow and let it be as it is. There are also concerns about putting out salt when it can attract the wild life. We have enough of wild life accidents even without the salt on the roads. I have never hit a bigger wild animal, but I have experienced several of close calls. 

We try and clear the snow with salt otherwise it melts and freezes or it compacts and freezes. 

I've seen a number of vehicles that have struck deers on the road. The vehicle always comes off worst (and the deer uses dies or has to be shot).

34 minutes ago, lost soul said:

Did your burning glare of disapproval at their bad driving melt all the nasty snow away?

I hope so but it was too late, they'd already crashed!

Think the A74(M) is shut again further up tonight. I'm back out in the morning and I'm expecting another shift of clearing up after avoidable accidents and road closures.

1 person likes this

Not back on until 6am Friday, should be cleared by then. ;)

1 hour ago, BossHogg said:

Just had a gentle dusting on the coast. 

IMG_20180116_194031.jpg

IMG_20180116_193810.jpg

You might wake up to a bit more tomorrow, just had a blizzard start here and it's put down a couple of inches in half an hour!

1 minute ago, BossHogg said:

Not back on until 6am Friday, should be cleared by then. ;)

Leave the hard work to the grafters. :im_020:

1 person likes this

Not too bad here, im enjoying watching drivers going too fast then panicking

DSC_0005.JPG

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Thrush said:

You might wake up to a bit more tomorrow, just had a blizzard start here and it's put down a couple of inches in half an hour!

It's gone already. ;)

39 minutes ago, Thrush said:

We try and clear the snow with salt otherwise it melts and freezes or it compacts and freezes. 

I've seen a number of vehicles that have struck deers on the road. The vehicle always comes off worst (and the deer uses dies or has to be shot).

It is even worse to hit a moose. It's usually rolls over the hood of the car and you end up with a 700-800 Kilogram moose in your lap. If the moose legs comes in first it can begin to kick and usually kills the driver and front passenger if there is on. To hit a wild boar is like hitting a rock, to hit a full grown bear.....

There is another problem with salt, it is not good for the cars. It increases the rust 

I know all about the problems of colliding with wildlife, I attended quite a few RTCs on the Hohne range roads involving military vehicles hitting wild boar/deers.

36 minutes ago, BossHogg said:

I know all about the problems of colliding with wildlife, I attended quite a few RTCs on the Hohne range roads involving military vehicles hitting wild boar/deers.

There are/were a lot of wild life around there? We had a lot of wildlife in our training areas (there were never any hunting in those areas) 

Many times on night patrol I've seen hundreds of twinkling red lights in the distance, turned the big roof mounted spotlamps on to see a herd of 200+ deer bimbling across the road. The wild boar were maniacs! I was chased up many a tree trying to escape from the fuckers! No phones to call for help in them days, had to wait for the range warden doing his rounds to chase it away!

Another busy shift. 

vAVZFIx.jpg

About 200 mostly unprepared drivers ended up spending most of the night stuck in their vehicles. 

Winter tyres on the BMW. They make all the difference! :im_020:

jBRxJXm.jpg

13 minutes ago, Thrush said:

Winter tyres on the BMW. They make all the difference!

jBRxJXm.jpg

They look like Bridgestone's Blizzak

32 minutes ago, Thrush said:

Another busy shift. 

vAVZFIx.jpg

About 200 mostly unprepared drivers ended up spending most of the night stuck in their vehicles. 

Are you making yourself useful? :blink:

24 minutes ago, Ice man said:

They look like Bridgestone's Blizzak

They are Dunlop SP Winter Sports.

24 minutes ago, Ice man said:

Are you making yourself useful? :blink:

You know that one guy at work who just walks around carrying stuff looking like he's busy? That's what I've been doing. :im_020:

Still a mess on Scottish roads? 

It is illegal here to drive without winter tires between October to April.  

2 minutes ago, Ice man said:

Still a mess on Scottish roads? 

It is illegal here to drive without winter tires between October to April.  

It's not so bad now but we have another amber weather warning for heavy snow overnight.

We had about 6-10 inches so far which is unusual for the areas that got the snow.

No requirement in the UK for winter tyres.

3 minutes ago, Thrush said:

It's not so bad now but we have another amber weather warning for heavy snow overnight.

We had about 6-10 inches so far which is unusual for the areas that got the snow.

No requirement in the UK for winter tyres.

Are you working tonight and/or tomorrow? 

People never learn and you or your colleagues (if the female colleague is working snap a pic of her) have something to do again. There are some approaches that can be used to prevent people from driving despite warnings. That is they will be forced to pay the cost of getting the police, the towing trucks, and maybe the EM out dealing with their stupidity, but it must be a political decision prior sending the bills to stupid drivers. 

Winter tire law during the winter can be a good idea  

12 minutes ago, Ice man said:

Are you working tonight and/or tomorrow? 

People never learn and you or your colleagues (if the female colleague is working snap a pic of her) have something to do again. There are some approaches that can be used to prevent people from driving despite warnings. That is they will be forced to pay the cost of getting the police, the towing trucks, and maybe the EM out dealing with their stupidity, but it must be a political decision prior sending the bills to stupid drivers. 

Winter tire law during the winter can be a good idea  

Day shift tomorrow so hoping all the hard work will be done before I start.

Drivers that have damaged the barriers or signs etc are sent the bill for repairs. 

We don't get enough snow to warrant mandatory winter tyres. This snow over the last 2 days and into the 3rd day is unusual. The volume of snow isn't what we normally get or for such a prolonged period of time.

1 hour ago, Thrush said:

Another busy shift. 

vAVZFIx.jpg

Aww poor babies......next!

3 people like this

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

Aww poor babies......next!

2 ran out of fuel. :roll:

Many had no hot drink, food or blankets. :roll:

After 6-12 hours stuck in their vehicles overnight, they might be more prepared next time...or not.

6 minutes ago, Thrush said:

2 ran out of fuel. :roll:

Many had no hot drink, food or blankets. :roll:

After 6-12 hours stuck in their vehicles overnight, they might be more prepared next time...or not.

I remember being stuck in snow many years ago. Actually I'll rephrase that. When I was stuck behind muppets who were stuck in snow, I was quite happy with my camp stove, kettle, bottled water and a cab well stocked with chocolate biscuits. Not to mention a night heater  :tu:

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, snafu said:

I remember being stuck in snow many years ago. Actually I'll rephrase that. When I was stuck behind muppets who were stuck in snow, I was quite happy with my camp stove, kettle, bottled water and a cab well stocked with chocolate biscuits. Not to mention a night heater  :tu:

Far play to a couple of truck drivers who went around to cars offering hot drinks from their flasks.

The trunkers shut their curtains and went to bed. :lol!: 

1 person likes this

I knew i should have bought a BV202 and converted it into a Brattie wagon!

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Thrush said:

Far play to a couple of truck drivers who went around to cars offering hot drinks from their flasks.

The trunkers shut their curtains and went to bed. :lol!: 

They were all similarly well equipped truckers or snooty business types around me. The former didn't need my help and the latter could go fuck themselves. (I wouldn't have actually let them die of hypothermia....well probably not :im_003:)

Of course, had there been any fit wimens I would have let them sit in my cab......just to get warm you understand :sly: 

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, snafu said:

They were all similarly well equipped truckers or snooty business types around me. The former didn't need my help and the latter could go fuck themselves. (I wouldn't have actually let them die of hypothermia....well probably not :im_003:)

Of course, had there been any fit wimens I would have let them sit in my cab......just to get warm you understand :sly: 

Ever the gentleman

4 minutes ago, lost soul said:

Ever the gentleman

Of course  :inn:

7 minutes ago, snafu said:

Turn the night heater right up so they start taking clothes off. Let them have a lie down in the bunk. One thing leads to another.... :sly: 

1 minute ago, Thrush said:

Turn the night heater right up so they start taking clothes off. Let them have a lie down in the bunk. One thing leads to another.... :sly: 

You get accused of sexual harassment. 

1 minute ago, Ice man said:

Doubt it. Wimens love a bit of Thrush attention. :sly: 

18 minutes ago, Thrush said:

Plus exercise is good for raising your body temperature :sly:

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Ice man said:

Nah...besides you could get 2 or 3 bodies under the lower bunk and be 500 miles away before anyone missed them :tu:

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

Nah...besides you could get 2 or 3 bodies under the lower bunk and be 500 miles away before anyone missed them :tu:

How many prostitutes did you murder?

6 minutes ago, Thrush said:

How many prostitutes did you murder?

None. I never paid them :D

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, snafu said:

None. I never paid them :D

You still have them in your basement? 

1 hour ago, Thrush said:

Doubt it. Wimens love a bit of Thrush attention. :sly: 

They rarely have a choice in the matter!

15 minutes ago, lost soul said:

They rarely have a choice in the matter!

Shhhh! 

1 person likes this

A great and cheap silencer 

Image result for duct tape

2 people like this

There are some buffoons on Facebook saying the Police Scotland should fine the highways authority for not keeping the roads clear of snow. Fuckwits :roll:

1 person likes this