Spoiled Ballot

Talk about what's happening in the news
Electrode

Re: Spoiled Ballot

Post by Electrode » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:44 pm

It's a situation that makes me really rather sad, Sweden is such a welcoming country, with a good tradition of welcoming others. It's a shame that political system appears to be as broken as ours and that for political expedience reality becomes very relative. We do have a similar issue with airport workers, which has been brought up in security reviews, but we've done nothing substantive about it.

I know you've had a great deal of issues with Somali gangs, whose choice of weapon seems to be grenade attacks, which did hit the news here a few years ago when a child with British citizenship was caught in the crossfire, and I've seen your politicians contort themselves to give the issue a stiff ignoring.

I read the case study on your national database and it really was dire, even by the standards of public sector information systems in the UK, a great many lessons should have been learnt.

I've met a great many British people that have concerns for the integrity of the Swedish state, and I've seen a lot of raw footage of your police officers being afraid to enter no-go areas, there are similar areas in some parts of the UK, but it's nowhere near as bad, I still feel confident going to the worst areas of my own really deprived city without any consequences, whereas in parts of Sweden I've seen mobs throwing stones.

The results of the exit poll in the UK did see rather a lot of people who were a bit too emotionally invested in the Labour party bemoaning the British public for voting for the Nazis, a lot of quotes saying that the UK is a Nazi country etc - I really disliked our previous PM, she was quite emotionally tone-deaf, but Boris could never be described as being hard right, he has far too many personal peccadilloes to pose as a sever right winger. The danger of referring to your more socially conservative opposition as fascists or Nazis is that the public tire, and eventually the real bad guys won't seem quite so bad, I mean - the same crowd always refer to their political opponents as Nazis, so this nice German corporal couldn't possibly be, I wouldn't mind so much if they did genuinely believe that, and there are some that get so caught up in their bubbles that they really do, but a lot of the professional politicians know it's complete rubbish,it's just a political tool, and in my opinion a rather dangerous one.

Yes, it's true, the Cambridge spies were covered up, it was more because of the embarrassment, and you'll notice that where possible we've tended to keep such cases out of the public eye, the Americans became very touchy about intelligence sharing, so it was felt that the less they knew the better. I think this is often the preferred option when we really mess something up. We really are living in the era of the Emperor's new clothes.

Ice Man

Post by Ice Man » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:38 pm

I'm working close to elected people and damn they are stupid, in fact so stupid they don't realize it when I am playing Machiavellian games with them. We can be a lot in life and most of things we desire to do require an education. To be a politician requires nothing. Politics today is too emotional and pay very little attention to empirical facts. This is very obvious when we are discussing the climate. There is a climate change and we contribute to it, I agree with it. What I don't agree with are the consequences of the climate changes. It will not cause the extinction the climate hysterical claiming.

TangoOscar31

Post by TangoOscar31 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:02 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:38 pm
What I don't agree with are the consequences of the climate changes. It will not cause the extinction the climate hysterical claiming.
With the temperatures raising (look at Australia at the moment), how can we survive long term if no crops grow?

Ice Man

Post by Ice Man » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:02 am

Thrush wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:02 pm
With the temperatures raising (look at Australia at the moment), how can we survive long term if no crops grow?
Now I will say something that many get a problem with, the humanity will survive, but a lot of humans will perish. There are too many people on this planet and many will not survive the climate change and Australia is one of the losers in the survival game. Btw, Australia faced similar challenges in the past and the flora and the fauna changed. Those who could adapt to the change survived while those who couldn't died. That's the evolution