Battlefield Tours

Anything military related
Ice Man

Battlefield Tours

Post by Ice Man » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:14 am

Have any of you been on a world war one or world war two battlefield tour? I want to get a guided tour to the WWI battlefields, the memorial sites, and the war cemeteries. Especially around Ypres. The Menin Gate and watching and hearing the traditional last post, the Tyne Cot cemetery with over 12 000 dead commonwealth soldiers, the Newfoundland memorial park at Somme. The Canadian memorial site at Vimy Ridge, and many others.

TangoOscar31(Fallen)

Re: Battlefield Tours

Post by TangoOscar31(Fallen) » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:02 pm

Yes, we visited Normandy when I was a RM recruit. Got to visit Port en Bessin and then Utah beach on the 2nd day.
Fallen but not forgotten.

BossHogg
Site Admin

Post by BossHogg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:39 pm

I've visited Arnhem when on holiday in the Netherlands, I did a battlefield tour when I was based in the Falklands, that was quite interesting. 👍

Ice Man

Post by Ice Man » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:58 pm

I have also been to Arnhem and to the Canadian cemetery in that part of Holland.

Don't the Falklands have a lot of mines or have your Royal Engineers cleared the minefields?

BossHogg
Site Admin

Post by BossHogg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:39 pm

There are still a lot of mine fields on the Falklands, I believe a private company has the contract to clear them, probably staffed by ex RE. ;)

Ice Man

Post by Ice Man » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:22 pm

It would be fun to see the exhibition of the Victoria Crosses in the Imperial War Museum. That medal doesn't look so important, a rather simple bronze cross, but the deeds of the men who got one are not simple. It must be burden for the men winning the VC, being anonymous and a moment later when it is announced being famous and being forced to relive the moment they did their deeds.